Can I use i686 updates with Pentium II?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 17:44:19 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Yes, P-II was the second processor from i686 series.  P-Pro, P-II,
> Celerons, and P-III are i686.  (not sure about the latest Celerons, are
> they P-III or P-4 based?).

Depends. Desktop Celerons faster than about 1.5 GHz, and all the new
desktop ones with three digit numbers are Pentium 4 based.

Notebook Celerons, these days, are often based on the Pentium M, which
is a much-modified i686. They should be branded Celeron M, and come with
at least 512KB cache, and SSE2.

Marc M wrote:
> I need to review this stuff.  DOes anyone know a good site that goes
> over this in detail, if so please post.  Otherwise I will google, and
> thanks anyway.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041220/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/index.html
aren't bad...

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "Does exactly what it says on the tin." ...
Exeter    Devon    UK | I've got a tin at home: it says "Open other end".