apt problems

Matt Selvidge matts at pc-outlet.com
Fri Feb 4 17:55:00 UTC 2005

I have just recently started using Fedora core 3 and have been having
problems doing the updates.  My friend suggested using apt and synaptic
which he showed me and I like alot.  My problem is the copy that i
downloaded seems to have a problem (or more likely I did it wrong) i got the
program installed but when I run apt-get update it doesn't get the update
files.  It doesnt seem to know where the correct repoitories are.  I did a
little research on a forum and they suggested some files to edit and it will
find some things now but I still cannot do core updates.  Am I forgetting a
step or could there be another place to get the file from that would be a
better version.  The file name is  "apt-0.5.15cnc6-11.i386.rpm".  I got it
from "http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/3/i386/rpms.extras/".  My
friend has it installed and it works just fine but we dont know where he got
his file from.  Any help would be appriciated because I am very new to linux
but I like it and want to start using fedora all the time.

Thanks
Matt