newbie installation question (quickie)

Douglas Frank frank at zk3.dec.com
Fri Feb 4 21:43:09 UTC 2005

Actaully I didn't burn them myself, they're borrowed.

Anyhow I'm past that point; I rebooted and this time anaconda worked.
Must have dropped an interrupt or something the 1st time....

But now I have a new question(s) on security & networking:

In my efforts to get ftp, telnet etc. working (both in & out) I've found
myself reading about all sorts of security code delivered w/ fc3.
Kerberos, selinux, and 1 or 2 others.

Now, how is all this stuff organized?  Which tools are important and
which can I ignore?

Secondly, I'm having a tough time getting remote access working.  In
fact the only thing I've got working is ftp (vsftpd).  Neither telnet,
nfs or the r-commands work.

NFS clients attempting to mount can't find the portmapper.  According to
the logs, the portmapper did start...

 From the linux box, I can't ping a thing-- either by name or by IP.  OK,
is either routed or gated running?  No.  To cut to the chase, I did a
full disk 'find' for either routed or gated and neither was installed.
What package did I miss?

thx for your pointers.  (If there's a supplementary setup/configure
howto around somewhere, please just give me a pointer, thanks.)

--
Douglas Frank
HP Co.