Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Fri Feb 4 23:33:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 22:36 +0100, Stefan Held wrote:
> You are not getting the point. Tell me whatever udev breaks for you.

It killed my /dev on initial install, I could not even boot anymore.

It does not work well on a kernel without initrd.

It has no apparent advantages over static /dev but caused a lot of
problems.

It does not work well with PalmOS devices that only appear on USB while
syncing. You need precise timing between pressing the hotsync button,
waiting for udev to create the device files and starting pilot-link
applications.

> You want an old devfs designed for 2.4 not being able to create out of
> the userland the needed devices? A devfs that is under no current
> Maintainership? A devfs that has a lot of bugs open since years? Well
> wipe udev, out of your system, build your own kernel. But stop telling
> the Developer what they should do or not.

No, I don't want devfs. I did not see any reason to replace /dev with
devfs and I don't see a reason to replace it with udev now. The energy
would be better spent on better device names.

> You are saying you want new features but please not at the cost of
> errors. Maybe you should then install a FC4 Test1 and help the
> Developers to merge all those bugs out of the System before they
> release. Nowadays there is so much hardware you can buy how should ever
> come a release out with everything testet against all odds?

I'd love to keep up with the current rawhide development but it is no
fun to wait weeks until dependencies get resolved. Maybe RedHat could
spin off a rawhide-testing for packages that knowingly break others or
depend on unreleased rpms.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Quantum Mechanics is God's version of "Trust me."