Activating wireless card at boot

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 03:30:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:12:39 +0100, antonio montagnani
<anto.montagnani at virgilio.it> wrote:
> akonstam at trinity.edu ha scritto/wrote il giorno/on 04/02/2005 23:06:
>
> >On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 04:53:18PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> >

> >>Once my computer is booted up, I can execute the following series of commands
> >>(as root):
> >>
> >># iwlist wlan0 scan
> >># iwconfig wlan0 key restricted <my-key>
> >># dhclient wlan0
> >>
> >>in order to get up and running with my wireless card. I'm using a Linksys
> >>WPC-11b ver. 3 wireless card with ndiswrapper, and my laptop is running FC3
> >>kernel 2.6.10-1.741_FC3.
> >>
> >>No matter what I do, though, I can't seem to get this working on boot. I've
> >>tried creating the new wireless device in the network configuration tool,
> >>entering all of the proper settings in the "Wireless" tab. The computer seems
> >>to recognize the wireless card and reports a strong signal, but I can't see
> >>the SSID for my WAP and I certainly can't get an IP address from the DHCP
> >>server.
> >>
> >>What am I missing?
> >>

> >If you  have your card properly configured as wlan0 through the
> >system-config-network gui then ifup wlan0 should bring it up and
> >ifdown wlan0 bring it down.
> >Do you have a eth0 interface on you machine. We have found that even
> >if the machine is not connected with a wire the eth0 interface will be
> >brought up and prevent the wlan0 interface from coming up.
> >
> >Now if anyone out there knows how to keep the eth0 interface from
> >coming up on boot even when there is no line plugged into it I would
> >like to hear about it.
> >

> by system-control-network, I assume that you should be able to prevent
> eth0 to come up at boottime.
>
> let me know...
>
> --
>
>  Antonio M.
>
>  ===================================================================
>  Working with  Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 3

Try using Networkmanager
Go to this url and see if this helps
http://www.fedoranews.org/contributors/jim_lawrence/network_manager/
If for some reason NM doesn't start,  open up the terminal and type in

NetworkManangerInfo

If you use a encrypted network   and NM finds your AP it will prompt
you for the key

Hope all this helps
--

Jim Lawrence