Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 05:37:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:02:16 -0700, Kevin Fries <kevin at hcico.com> wrote:
> This morning I had to re-install Windows because udev failed to build
> the /dev link for a USB based scanner.

If it's just the device file being missing, what have you tried?  Have
you looked at custom udev rules?  Have you put manual device files
in /etc/udev/devices?  udev has options to give you control just for
these types of situations.

>  This has set my transition to a Linux network back 2 years.

Then have you tried using FC1 instead of FC3; or another Linux
distro?

>  And I get accused of whinnying.

When things don't work it can be very frustrating.  I empathize with
that, and I'd have to think most people on this list do too.  But you
might get a better response if you try to provide useful detailed
information rather than attacking the hard-working Fedora team and
the udev developers.

But, perhaps aside from a specific device here or there, udev works
great for many people and a savior for some too.  And udev is not just
a Fedora thing; it IS the future of the Linux kernel currently and many
distros will adopt it.  There would equally be a lot of people upset if
Fedora didn't adopt udev.

> I want whatever was working before it uninstalled and upgraded with
> udev.  I was under the impression that it was devfs, but I am
> wondering if it was static dev.  Whatever it is, udev failed not on
> something complex that can be explained away, but on a basic USB
> scanner.

Are you sure your problem is just with udev?  Or is it perhaps the
USB scanner module, or something else?

Can you even provide the USB device ID numbers for the scanner
in question?  (run lsusb)
--
Deron Meranda