Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Feb 5 07:48:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 22:02 -0700, Kevin Fries wrote:

> This morning I had to re-install Windows because udev failed to build
> the /dev link for a USB based scanner.  This has set my transition to
> a Linux network back 2 years.  And I get accused of whinnying.
>
> I want whatever was working before it uninstalled and upgraded with
> udev.  I was under the impression that it was devfs, but I am
> wondering if it was static dev.  Whatever it is, udev failed not on
> something complex that can be explained away, but on a basic USB
> scanner.  Using Beta (closer to alpha if you ask me) software in a
> stable distribution is setting the Linux movement back, not forward.
----
sorry you 'had' to re-install Windows.

Rather than debate you, I would encourage you to read this essay (and a
very popular one at that) by Eric Raymond - one of the most articulate
advocates of Free Software

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/

You referred to Linux as a movement. It is not a movement. Linux is a
kernel. Fedora is a distribution of Linux and various utilities, daemons
and applications. 'Free Software' is a movement. The distinction is
entirely important and if you read this essay, you will understand what
is at stake.

Craig