Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Feb 5 16:00:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 08:53 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 15:36 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> > On 5 Feb 2005, at 06:02, Kevin Fries wrote:
> >
> > > This morning I had to re-install Windows because udev failed to build
> > > the /dev link for a USB based scanner.  This has set my transition to
> > > a Linux network back 2 years.  And I get accused of whinnying.
> >
> > Please, read the following article:
> >
> > http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php
> ----
> nice link

But it doesn't address Kevin's problem, which is a USB timeout, not a
failure to find a node in /dev.

See:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-February/msg01289.html

If the USB driver in the kernel is having problems with the device, it
can't identify the device and create a node for it. I doubt that the
situation would be any better with a static /dev entry for it either.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>