Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Sat Feb 5 17:24:34 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:00:37 -1000, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>>D. D. Brierton wrote:
>>

>>>I've been a RHL and FC user for quite some time. I've been on the
>>>mailing lists, and had bugzilla accounts for a long time now. But this
>>>mailing list is strangling itself. The volume is way too high. Look at
>>>the beginning of the Fedora Project and see how many Red Hat engineers
>>>regularly posted to this list, and now look at how many do (Tim Waugh
>>>and Dave Jones make an occasional appearance here these days, and we're
>>>lucky to have them). That's it. Who's driven them away? WE HAVE.
>>>

>>Totally in agreement, please read my post on this subject here.
>>
>>http://www.livejournal.com/users/wtogami/2005/02/04/
>>
>>Key to the problem is that mailing lists are far from the best medium
>>for end-user support.  We need to steer end-users to an entirely
>>different medium in order to scale effectively.  Official project change
>>in that direction is happening soon.  Read the link above for details.
>>

>while I agree with the problem, I dont agree with the solution. forums
>are going to worsen the problem rather than resolve it. what we need
>is a good set of guidelines thats *documented* well in an official
>manner
>
>while the community itself can enforce these guidelines, it needs more
>official direction from the fedora project

Hi,

I agree. Personally, I learned *a lot* from this list, but I'm sure I'd
just have given up it it was a web forum. They just plain suck. A *much*
better solution would just be to make it a usenet discussion group.

By the way, what is the problem with having too many users here? isn't
this the fedora-/users/ group? If there are too many user/dumb
questions, maybe you could just start a usenet called /fedora-help/ or
something like it. Then the /fedora-users/  title would be preserved for
the other discussions...

--
Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student