Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sat Feb 5 18:04:05 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Fries" <kevin at hcico.com>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 11:02 PM
Subject: Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

> This morning I had to re-install Windows because udev failed to build
> the /dev link for a USB based scanner.  This has set my transition to
> a Linux network back 2 years.  And I get accused of whinnying.

I think the "whining" thing was off-base, but I think you very well could
have gotten your scanner to work with a little more work.

> I want whatever was working before it uninstalled and upgraded with
> udev.  I was under the impression that it was devfs, but I am
> wondering if it was static dev.  Whatever it is, udev failed not on
> something complex that can be explained away, but on a basic USB
> scanner.  Using Beta (closer to alpha if you ask me) software in a
> stable distribution is setting the Linux movement back, not forward.

I will echo what earlier posters have said - Fedora should not be considered
a "stable" distribution.  It is really a public testbed for features which
may someday show up in Red Hat's "stable" distro - Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
I really recommend you stick around and spend more time with Fedora.  It's
not always going to be a smooth ride, but it's a lot of fun and you have the
opportunity to help make a better distro by reporting bugs like your scanner
issue.

Cheers,
Thomas