Taking the plunge

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Feb 7 00:26:42 UTC 2005

thebearwitchproject wrote:

>Well after the hlp I recieve from my first posts,
>reading up some more and getting a copy of Fedora 3
>from a Linux mag here in the UK I will be installing
>this weekend.
>
>I am getting a new hard drive and sorting out my
>others so I should have a 40 gig one just for linux.

That's a fair amount of HDD space, though if you will be doing
transcondings, it may fall short... Just a word of caution there.

>I just have a couple more questions. I have downloaded
>the printer thing and ADSL drivers someone mentioned,
>extracted them and burnt the to a CD-RW. Now when I
>put the disc in do I just double click on the relevent
>file to start the install, like I do in Windows?

What do you mean by ADSL drivers and printer drivers (well the printer
drives may be necesary...). I ask because pretty much configuring your
ADSL is *quite* easy: When you first boot into the system, open
Applications-->System Tools-->Internet connection Wizard. That will
prompt you for some information about the new connection, select ADSL,
your uname, pw, provider, connection name, etc. Pretty much that's about
it. So I don't think you need any special drivers... Now answering your
question, the installation of software (a la Windows) is possible, but
instead of being the files with an .exe extension, they have to be .rpm,
then a program called Package Manager will open, show you some info of
the file you're installing and install the package.

>My second question invlved DVD software. I currently
>use MainConcept to re-encode avi files and TMPGE to
>burn DVDs. Is there linux versions of these? If not
>can you recommend some good re-encoding and burning
>software?

Well, in this regard, I *know* there is a Pro version of the DVD
mastering tools (dvdrecord), which are abackend and that backend can be
used by many of the popular frontends like K3B. As far as I know, though
you get full dvd record support (for data) with FC3, the system will
lack transcoding software (easy solveable by installing a program, you
guessed it, called transcode :)), and then use K3B to burn it. Again,
I'm not an expert in this regard (maybe if I had a DVD burner I would be
:)).

>Jay

Gian.