copy/paste firefox prob on fc3

jbrown mother.of.gods at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 03:56:00 UTC 2005

Anyone else seen this:

Copy url from location bar in firefox window (right-click or ctl-c take
your pick), close firefox (setup kinda paranoid - history, etc, etc
destroyed on firefox close, no cookies, no non-original site images
loaded, javascript disabled except for image replacement, blah, blah,
etc), open firefox back up, go to paste and .... nothing. Not with
right-click, not with ctl-v. The middle-click paste not working makes
sense to me, the app is gone, there is nothing highlighted any longer -
fine by me).

Maybe it's just me, maybe it isn't FC3's prob, but my c-n-p operations
should hold over a firefox close (regardless of what app "owns" that
piece of the clipboard)... firefox should not "own" that clipboard. Hrm,
even Thunderbird can't paste a c-n-p url when Firefox gets closed.

Anyone else seen this?

i understand the danger of clipboards and app access to them, but this
seems kinda ... strange to me. If i copy an url, close firefox and then
go to paste that url - it should happen (i don't care
who/what/when/where did it - i want it done if i press ctl-v). i also
understand the desire of an app designer to keep the app's info "close
to home", but c-n-p does not apply to that - it doesn't belong to the
app - it belongs to me, i copied and i would like to paste it where i
like, when i like, how i like in whatever app i like. God knows gnome
does enough when it starts up (2.5gig proc and 1gig of ddr and still get
to wait longer than the 600mhz craptop under XP for
finally-the-machine-is-done-bonking-about-on-login-you-can-use-your-computer-now
"login" time) and hogs enough ram that the ability to keep safe "copies"
*AND* track what app, what user, what access privs and who should be
able to paste at what time in what app, that the copied info should be
there for me.

Short version of that: i want to copy something, i do so, it should be
available in any app i can see.

Or have i missed something?

FC will transition to a backend server OS for me .. light weight mind
you (small NFS, Samba, dchp, bootp, ftp, and ssh/sftp server), for some
time, but this little c-n-p prob is just another notch in the belt i
looked at long and hard before ordering a Mac this week.

i've *had* it - game over for Fedora on my desktop. Save the derogatory
comments and complaints and cut-downs of my intelligence, savvy, or what
have you; linux rocks on my servers, not on my desktop. Done deal. Game
over for now.

Please don't feed me some bitch-fest on
you-suck-linux-rocks-you-didn't-do-X, Y, or Z. i don't have the time for
it. Answer the question. If it involves "editing
/etc/blah/bonk/you-should-already-know-about-this-dir/random.conf" -
save it. Automate it and then call me.

Heads up, my firewall is of the BSD family (like candy to setup), my
work laptop is XP pro, my testing machine is 2003 Advanced Enterprise
Server, my desktop is (for the next few days) FC3, my new machine will
be OS X and the bitch-box (our abuse platform; 3 gig proc 2gig ddr) is
Gentoo/2003 Adv Server on that tasty dual-boot.