Install hang question ...

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 05:50:43 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 15:27:08 -0600, akonstam at trinity.edu
<akonstam at trinity.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 01:36:39PM -0500, mconsidine at netreach.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I believe I've correctly searched the archives for this
> > answer, but found nothing.  Hopefully, someone can point me
> > in the right direction ...
> >
> > I just finished a plain-vanilla install of Core 3.  Upon the
> > first reboot, I get to the following point on the screen :
> >
> > Starting udev: [ OK ]
> > Initializing hardware ... storage network audio done [ OK ]
> > Configuring kernel parameters:
> >
> > and at this point it seems to be hung.  Pressing
> > <Ctrl><SysRq> results in
> >   /etc/init.d/functions: line 428:
> > /etc/rhgb/temp/rhgb-console: Interrupted system call
> > but it still seems hung.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to
> > fix/reinstall to get this going?  There were no errors
> > during the install, and the only message I note upon booting
> > is
> > ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP
> >
> > The machine is a Dell Dimension XPS D300 (PII 300Mhz) with
> > 128M RAM and one 8Gb harddisk.  The install is a fresh
> > "desktop" install (i.e. nothing is being preserved on the
> > old drive and default choices are selected for installation
> > options).
> >
> > FWIW, I've had RH 9 running on this machine before as part
> > of a dual boot system, so the machine is actually capable of
> > working :)
> >
> > Any fixes that people have or that I could be pointed to
> > would be appreciated.  And I really apologize if this is
> > covered somewhere and I've missed it.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Matt Considine
> > Doylestown, PA
> >

> I realize others don't agree with me but once again installing FC3 on
> a 300Mhz machine with 128M Ram and 8gb disk is an uphill battle I
> would not want to tackle. You don't say how much of the distribution
> you installed but rhgb would be iffy in this system and only a limited
> subset of the total distribution could be installed.-

> Robustness, adj.:
>         Never having to say you're sorry.
> Aaron Konstam
> Computer Science
> Trinity University
> One Trinity Place.
> San Antonio, TX 78212-7200
>
> telephone: (210)-999-7484
> email:akonstam at trinity.edu

Only problem I had with FC3 on a P2-133 with 96 MB RAM was anaconda
being unable to automatically create logical volumes in an extended
partition.  Anaconda either could not see the 8 GB of free space or
did not like to create logical volumes in an existing extended
partition.  Used Disk Druid to create the boot, /,  and swap
partitions. Installation completed without further problems.  I get
slow response times when running applications under Gnome or KDE but
the computer is still usable for many applications.