NTP problem with FC3 running inside a VMware virtual machine

Peter Kiem zordah at zordah.net
Mon Feb 7 07:25:05 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm sick of doing an ntpdate command every 2 mins in my VMware virtual
servers and trying (again) to get NTP working instead.

Problem is running when FC2 or FC3 inside VMware GSX 3.1.0 virtual
machines the system clock ADVANCES at a rapid rate which screws up the
services I have running in those virtual machines.

I've got a hardware router (Snapgear SME575) which exposes an NTP server
to my network and I can successfully use ntpdate to update the clock as
long as I do it every 2 minutes.

In the FC3 virtual machine I have the following ntp.conf
/etc/ntp.conf:
restrict default nomodify notrap noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1
server 202.173.151.129
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay  0.008
keys /etc/ntp/keys

When I look at what NTP is doing I see:
# ntpq -p
  jitter
  fizban.zordah.n 0.0.0.0          5 u   31   64  377    1.038  -393692
29073.0

So from what I can NTP is working and can contact the NTP server on my
router but the time is changing so fast NTP cannot keep up?

Has anyone run FC3 as virtual machines and experienced/solved this issue?

--
Regards,
Peter Kiem

Zordah IT - IT Consultancy and Internet Services
Ph: (0414) 724-766   Fax: (07) 3344-5827
Web: www.zordah.net  Email: zordah at zordah.net