Setting Up Mail Server and Vitual Hosting

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Feb 7 09:38:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 08:49 +0000, Robert Slade wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 04:06, Troyston Campano wrote:
> > I there a qmail rpm that I can install for Fedora Core 1 that will give me
> > SMTP and POP3 support? I haven't been able to find anything.
> >
> > Thank you!
>
> Snip
>
> The short answer is no. You will need to patch it to update it to
> include some of the required capabilities. Have a look at qmailrocks.org
> where you can find out some of the info. There are links to other sites
> too.
----
is it just me or does it seem odd that despite the fact that sendmail &
postfix MTA's & cyrus-imapd & dovecot IMAP/POP servers come with Fedora,
that people are suggesting downloading and installing non-GPL qmail and
qpopper?

Just a suggestion to Troystan - use Postfix & Dovecot if not a lot of
users or cyrus-imapd if a lot of users. You can handle virtual domains
rather simply and deal with spamassassin etc. They are likely already
installed but they are included on fedora cd's if not and part of the
update/upgrade tree.

It's not that I want to debate the virtues of Qmail/Qpopper, only that
Fedora / Red Hat won't distribute (in fact, no one really distributes
them), because of their license.

Craig