Fedora Core 3 Sound Problems....?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Feb 7 10:39:33 UTC 2005

Julian Daich wrote:
> Thank you. It is also the reason for what I didn't find the command"
> $chmod" in any place.

> El dom, 06-02-2005 a las 23:16 -0800, Charles A. Crayne escribió:
>
>>On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 08:27:09 +0200
>>Julian Daich <julianlx at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>:[root at localhost ~]# $chmod 664 /dev/hdc
>>:-bash: 664: command not found
>>
>>Remove the '$' from the command.

People answering questions on mailing lists (and other online
documentation) will often give commands that need to be run. Sometimes
these instructions will show a typical shell prompt too. So, for
instance, an instruction to run the command "chmod 664 /dev/hdc" will
often be written as:

$ chmod 664 /dev/hdc

The "$" here is supposed to indicate the shell prompt. You might also
find people writing this as "#" to indicate a command that should be run
as the root user:

# chmod 664 /dev/hdc

In your case your shell prompt (for the root user) appears to be
"[root at localhost ~]#" but this will vary from system to system, which is
why the shorthand "$" or "#" is usually shown instead.

Paul.