timsieved

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Feb 7 15:33:21 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 20:51 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>
>>Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
>>Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:41:34
>>

>>>I see it's in /usr/share/cyrus-imapd but a ps aux|grep timsieve doesn't
>>>locate it - so I have to assume that it isn't running.
>>
>>Wrong.  timsieved is started by cyrus-master process.  cyrus-master is the one
>>listening on all ports (imap, pop3, sieve, nntp, ...) and starts appropriate
>>service when there's incomming connection.  Check with "netstat -a" if anything
>>is listening on sieve port (2000).  Or use "lsof -p cyrus-master-pid" to see on
>>what ports cyrus-master is listening.
>>

>>>My goal is to integrate 'ingo' from Horde and it says it uses
>>>'timsieved' driver.
>>
>>Check all INSTALL files for horde and ingo, and make sure you have all required
>>libraries and PHP modules, as well as all required Pear and Pecl modules for
>>PHP.  Also, make sure you have optional modules needed to support specific
>>backends that you are using (because some modules are needed only when specific
>>backend is used, those are listed as optional).  For ingo to use sieve backend,
>>you must install "optional" sieve module from Pear.
>>

>>>how do I make it talk?
>>
>>It's probably already talking (default in Fedora RPM package is timsieved enabled).
>
> ----
> indeed - I almost emailed you directly since I know you've been fooling
> with the same things.
>
> ingo was fully installed including pear's 'Sieve' and I didn't see a
> thing and then all of a sudden, all of my email is dropping in my inbox
> and not getting 'sieved'. Fired up a console connection and saw that my
> active script was 'ingo' and not 'lists' so I know that it's working
> now.

What do you mean by empty screen?  I've got empty (blank) screens on an
attempt to save filter rules when I forgot to install Sieve module from
Pear.  Have you restarted Apache after you installed the module (not
sure if it's needed)?

> My only problem is how to 'edit' these scripts as I can't figure that
> out but I suppose that's probably best for ingo at lists.horde.org (unless
> you want to make that easy for me)  ;-)

Well, there's 4 predefined rules (whitelist, blacklist, vacation, and
forward).  For anything else, there's button "new rule", you click on it
and define the rule using GUI.  You can't edit the script in an text
editor (well, you can, but ingo is not going to like it).

Smartsieve is the same.  You should not manually edit the script it
generated (if you intend to continue using smartsieve).  The only
difference, for scripts not generated by smartsieve, it opens it in text
editing box.