Forcing YUM to install devel packages

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Feb 7 18:07:50 UTC 2005

kevin.j.lisciotti at jpmchase.com wrote:
> First I apologize if my reply comes through convoluted, I am stuck using
> Lotus Notes at work.

Yuk!

> The problem had to do with the way the evolution client contacted the
> server using either HELO or EHLO commands. I'm not a programmer so fixing
> it myself is out  of the question.

My evolution client uses the reverse-DNS name of the computer in the
HELO/EHLO SMTP greeting. Do you have reverse DNS for your LAN? In the
absence of reverse DNS, perhaps it uses the computer name from
/etc/hosts? Was it the name that your SMTP server was objecting to, or
something else? Is your local sendmail set up to route outgoing mail via
the same server (e.g. so that "ls -l | Mail -s "test" you at example.com"
works)? If so, you might work around the problem by setting "localhost"
as your SMTP server instead of the server you're currently trying to use.

 > On another machine I have, the same
> problem existed, but after upgrading that to 2.0.3 it fixed the problem so
> I know it's legit.
>
> I'll be brave and test the above when I get home tonight. Thanks a lot!

Note that you'll get a large number of libraries installed, and probably
a bunch of other stuff that may break things you actually use on a
day-to-day basis...

Paul.