Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Feb 7 18:18:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 10:53, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > The one thing I could see as an improvement over the current mailing
> > list and bugzilla for fedora users would be to add a wiki that would
> > be maintained mostly by a team of volunteers who would collate the
> > frequently-asked questions on the list into stock answers on the
> > wiki.  Then much of the clutter on the mailling list could be avoided
> > by searching the wiki first, and if new users don't  recognize the
> > symptoms well enough to find the answer themselves, the mailing list
> > response would only have to be a pointer to the wiki entry.
>
> These new users would be the same people that don't read fedorafaq.org,
> wouldn't they?

You mean that page that was last updated in December, has a total
of 15 problems and solutions, and no way for someone to add solutions
or downloadable attachments?  I can see why it isn't so popular...

> That answers many of the questions ansked here,
> particularly regarding NTFS, but it doesn't stop people asking.

But it makes the answers easy if all you have to supply is a
link to an up to date page.  I've seen wiki's work for several
other projects - it just takes a certain critical mass for it to
become the preferred place to look and submit updates.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com