Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Mon Feb 7 19:41:29 UTC 2005

On or about 2005-02-07 12:59, William Hooper whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>Michael W. Carney said:

>>Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>>

>>| And the Really Great Thing [tm] about using the NNTP protocol as a base
>>| is that there *are* good news-to-mail and news-to-web gateway software
>>| packages! So if the base is NNTP, you can use a newsreader, mail client,
>> | or browser (whichever you prefer) to get the messages any way you
>>like. |
>>| What's not to like?
>>

>>Nothing. Let's *PLEASE* to to a fedora-private nntp system for the
>>fedora community "groups". Using mail lists for the community has been and
>>continues to be torture.
>>

>There are already two ways of viewing this list via NNTP, why do we need
>another?
>
>As previously mentioned, gmane.org carries the Fedora lists.  I also go
>reminded (thanks to Pete Zaitcev's Blog) that Red Hat also already runs an
>NNTP gateway (news://news.redhat.com/).
>
>Anyone wishing to test a "news-to-web" gateway would do well to start
>there tests with one of those two.

Agreed.  The only problem with the gmane.org news is that it doesn't
seem to propagate postings to it backwards to the list, only from the
list to the newsgroup.  OTOH, if we all just stopped using the list and
just used the newsgroup....

Is there any good reason that we continue with the mail list when the
newsgroup seems to work so much better?  I suppose it depends a little
on your connection speed, your ISP (POP3 or IMAP)  and your  mail/news
reader software.  But I think it makes a lot more sense to download just
the headers and then pick the articles you wish to see, than having to
download everything (as in POP3).

--
Fritz Whittington
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." -- Al Capone