assignment of eth* devices

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 20:25:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 14:15:22 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic
<amilivojevic at pbl.ca> wrote:
> For example, one might have:
>
> alias eth0 le
> alias eth1 hme
>
> To swap assignment, simply change to:
>
> alias eth0 hme
> alias eth1 le
>
> If they are using same driver, modprobe.conf will read something like this:
>
> alias eth0 hme
> alias eht1 hme

Aleksandar,

I have tried making the swap in the modprobe.conf file and had no luck
with it. After reboot, it came back the same way. This was with two
different nics.

I have eth0 as sk98lin and eth1 as 8139too, but originally they were
reversed. Originally, I tried swapping them, but something else was
causing them to keep coming back so that eth0 was the 8139. The
solution I provided earlier was the only way I could get it to work
and stay through reboots.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it (besides swapping cables) but
that was what worked for me.

--

David