Newsgroup - need any open ports on the users computer?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Feb 7 23:46:37 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:
> Michael W. Carney said:

>>Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>>

>>| And the Really Great Thing [tm] about using the NNTP protocol as a base
>>| is that there *are* good news-to-mail and news-to-web gateway software
>>| packages! So if the base is NNTP, you can use a newsreader, mail client,
>> | or browser (whichever you prefer) to get the messages any way you
>>like. |
>>| What's not to like?
>>

>>Nothing. Let's *PLEASE* to to a fedora-private nntp system for the
>>fedora community "groups". Using mail lists for the community has been and
>>continues to be torture.
>

> There are already two ways of viewing this list via NNTP, why do we need
> another?
>
> As previously mentioned, gmane.org carries the Fedora lists.  I also go
> reminded (thanks to Pete Zaitcev's Blog) that Red Hat also already runs an
> NNTP gateway (news://news.redhat.com/).
>
> Anyone wishing to test a "news-to-web" gateway would do well to start
> there tests with one of those two.

Thanks William!

I just subscribed to the news link above. The messages that go to this
list are the same messages that are on the newsgroup. the newsgroup was
under the gated-rhl-list heading.

I had some firewall setup problems, I added 119:tcp and also 119:udp to
the rules via s-c-securitylevel, are both these entries needed for
newsgroup access? I tried signing up to the groups woth only tcp and
there were messages listed, but I was not able to subscribe successfully
to the group without adding udp also. Are these rules needed or would
the newsgroups work without adding these ports to the open list?

Jim

Jim