fedora 3 latest ISO images

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Feb 8 03:15:34 UTC 2005

jim, please do not use HTML mail. Among other reasons, it's hard to
read after those of us who don't use it strip it out. Thank you.

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:26:37PM -0600, jim branagan wrote:

>    David Cary Hart wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:30:57PM -0500, jim lawrence wrote:
>

>    I presume the updated RPMs we get with yum/up2date/synaptic/etc. have been
>    compiled and tested individually, and against the most up to date versions
>    of the other packages in the repositories.
>    On most of my machines, synaptic and yum don't work: no network connection.
>    Even  worse,  a  couple of my friends really like the FC1/Planet CCRMA
>    installations I set up for them, but depend on dial-up modems.  I burned FC3
>    ISO images for them, but the initial update is really painful over a dial-up
>    line.

Er, if you don't have a network connection, how did you get the ISO
images to burn?

>    Is there a way I can collect all updated RPMs on this machine, and create
>    apt-enabled (or yum-enabled) CD image(s) to bring to non-network machines?
>    I don't usually need up-to-date ISO images, but would really like to be able
>    to mirror repositories locally.  Rather than releasing the entire updated
>    system, monthly releases of update CD's would be nice.

This you can do yourself. Pull in the updates, by whatever method you
used to get the ISOs, yumify them, and burn them onto one or more
CDs. On the recipent machines, point yum to the CD with a file://
protocol URL, something like: "baseurl=file://media/cdrom".

>    I know how to use apt-get for download only, but this gets RPMs that don't
>    interface with the package manager properly.  Is there a tool to create the
>    additional data that apt/yum need?  So far yahoo/google hasn't revealed such
>    a tool, but repository managers must be using one.

Yes, there is. In fact, there are two for yum alone, depending on
which version of yum the recipient machine uses. See
http://www.charlescurley.com/yum.html for this and more information.

I expect there is a similar tool for apt. Someone else will have to
speak about it, though.

>    In addition, I have a desktop machine which won't boot with FC3 (it does
>    work with FC1/2).  I've been told I need to install a 2.6.10 kernel to fix
>    problems with this MB.   But If I boot from the rescue disc, I can't unmount
>    it to read from a CD with the kernel RPM on it.  I'm planning on solving
>    this problem by pulling the hard drive, and installing it in this machine
>    temporarily.

Kudzu may bite you for that. Make careful note of the changes you let
kudzu do on the temporary machine so you can back them out gracefully
when you get the HD back to the old machine.