editing boot.ini

Maxim Eremeev maxim_eremeev at umail.ru
Tue Feb 8 12:05:44 UTC 2005

>> Maxim Eremeev wrote:
>> [..]
>> Go there and
>> find where the file boot.ini is located. Copy the bootsect.lnx to the
>> same location. Normally it's just C:\, but as you have Win98 it could be
>> E:\, D:\ or whatever where your W2K resides. Add the following line to
>> boot.ini:
>> %path to bootsect.lnx%="Fedora" (it could be D:\bootsect.lnx="Fedora"
>> for example)
>> 4. Restart and choose Fedora from the boot menu - see whether it does
>> the trick.
>> [..]
>>
>> I'm scaredy cat, uh, i mean conservative, with regards to grub
>> et al.  win2k is on C:\,E:\ is fat32 share, F:\ is linux FC3
>>

>> would this be a good boot.ini to re-establish dual booting?
>>
>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=30
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
>>

>> F:\bootsect.lnx="Fedora"
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Thufir Hawat

Hi,
The short answer is no. The problem is that W2K boot-loader won't
be able to see any file on a Linux partition (unless you had
formatted it in VFAT which itself would be a very bad idea). Why don't
you just put the file bootsect.lnx on C:\? Or, probably, I am missing
something: what is your present booting situation right now?
Regards,
Maxim.