FC3 and Riva128 graphics adapter - resolution problems

Rob MacKay mackayrob at msn.com
Tue Feb 8 15:48:07 UTC 2005

Hi there,

I'm having a problem with my newly installed system, and need some guidance.
  Any help or direction would be appreciated.

My system is a PII 350 with riva128 on board.  I've configured Xorg and it's
mostly working ok.  My own login is fine once I changed the resolution using
preferences>screen resolution.  The signon screen and root login screen,
however, are both stuck on 1280X960 and my monitor (Benq 15" flat panel)
complains about it.  It shows the screen, but says "out of range" on the
screen.  When I got into root login and change the resolution, it stays for
that session, but when I log out and back in ... it's changed back to
1280X960 (I want 1024X768).

Perhaps related is the fact that I can't seem to open display configuration
from the menu.  When I attempt to manually run it from the terminal, I get
5-6 error messages.  I think that it may be because the display
configuration is for Xfree86 where FC3 uses Xorg (though admittedly I have
little idea what I'm talking about).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Rob