Sound card not working in Fedora Core 3

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Feb 9 01:55:45 UTC 2005

Kunal Shah wrote:

>I know this problem has been discussed n number of times here. I have
>been googling for this but could not find proper resolution.
>
>It seems that i have two problems and solving them can cause other
>problems as i have see earlier too.
>
>Prob 1.
>I am using Gateway 4535Gz laptop and in the configuration document it
>shows that i have
>Analog Devices SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
>
>(I have downloaded chip identification util from intel site and i can
>give you exact chip number for the same if you need to assist me.)
>
>but in linux when i do sound configuration from GNOME it detects that i
>have intel ac97. I dont know how they are related.
>
>Prob 2. If the sound card detected by linux is accurate, still i dont
>have sound. I have gone through each and every documentation in alsa
>proj site and double checked all the mixer settings that nothing is
>mute.
>
>If i try to install new alsa driver ( alsa-driver rpm is not installed
>in fedora and its not available on fedora site. Only alsa packages
>installed on my system are alsa-lib and alsa-devel). it screws up the
>module information and next time when i do modprobe snd_intel8x0, it
>gives me tons of errors.
>
>Please let me know if any one can help me in what is going on.
>

>Addition information about system
>
>[kunalshah at laptop ~]$ rpm -qa | grep alsa
>alsa-utils-1.0.6-3
>alsa-lib-1.0.6-7.FC3
>alsa-lib-devel-1.0.6-7.FC3
>[kunalshah at laptop ~]$ uname -r
>2.6.10-1.760_FC3
>[kunalshah at laptop ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
>Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg)
>[kunalshah at laptop ~]$ sudo su -
>[root at laptop ~]# modinfo soundcore
>filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.760_FC3/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
>author:         Alan Cox
>license:        GPL
>alias:          char-major-14-*
>vermagic:       2.6.10-1.760_FC3 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.4
>depends:
>srcversion:     4CCBC38AF44D1461882C573
>

>Thanks
>Kunal

Ok, Fedora uses the drivers provided by the version of ALSA merged into
the kernel, at this point only ALSA 1.0.6 has been merged into
kernel-code. This is an outdated version of ALSA, the current version is
1.0.8. That is why you don't see an ALSA-kernel-module package in the
fedora downlaods, becuase it is already into the kernel package. Only
-utils and -lib are really necesary as separate packages... I'd really
recommend you checking for an updated version of ALSA and if you can,
search the archives of the alsa-user mailing list, there are some nice
tips in there for these sound cards (plus the installation instructions
at the alsa-prject site).