Problem with smb shares.

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 13:27:53 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> You are absolutely correct in your analysis of what I want to do. So
> can it be done?
>
> I recently received a clarification from out Windows people that the
> share is really //trinity-tigers/users so technically smbmount is
> doing what it is advertised to do but Windows 2000 and XP allow you to
> mount one level below the share. I am getting the feeling that
> smbmount will not.

I still think we're missing information.

Are these shares going to be the users home directories? (If so, there
could be problems with some programs that assume the home directory
"looks" like a Unix home directory).

What is exporting these shares? What sort of filesystem does it have?
Can you rely on its idea of security?

Is there any chance that you can mount this share somewhere like
/var/trinity/users and script the creation of a symlink to the right
place?

Or could you use the "bind", "rbind" or "move" functionality in mount?
(See man mount).

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | Users are not like normal particles; they wave when
Exeter    Devon    UK | you observe them.