A question about quota

Hongwei Li hongwei at wustl.edu
Wed Feb 9 17:07:57 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am using quota and warnquota on our testing fc3 system.  It looks okay
except one problem.  When I run repquota -a, it displays most of users's
usage correctly, but not for a few users.  Below is part of the report:

# repquota -a
*** Report for user quotas on device /dev/hda2 (this is /home)
Block grace time: 7days; Inode grace time: 7days
                        Block limits                File limits
User            used    soft    hard  grace    used  soft  hard  grace
qlytodd     --     640       0       0             72     0     0
msaspte     +-    6632    6048    9096  47:52     110   180   200

*** Report for user quotas on device /dev/hda3 (this is /var)
Block grace time: 7days; Inode grace time: 7days
                        Block limits                File limits
User            used    soft    hard  grace    used  soft  hard  grace
qlytodd     --     200       0       0              1     0     0
msaspte     --       8     800    1000              1     0     0

The problem is for user msaspte, who actually has mail inbox size of
around 900kb, but the system's quota does not show that number and so does
not send warning message to him for his email size.  I tried to send him a
lot of emails of big sizes, he can receive/reply all of those emails
without any problem even the size gets any big number.  On the otherhand,
the system does send him warning message about his home files size
(excceeding soft-limit).

If I set quota limit for user qlytodd, then everything works normal.  It
seems that somehow the quota data for user msaspte got corrupted.

How to fix the problem?  If I turn the quota off for /var, then all
settings for all users will be lost.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Hongwei Li