Error when logging into KDE

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Wed Feb 9 21:23:43 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "DavidMarcus" <davidmarcus at la.sidefx.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 2:58 PM
Subject: Error when logging into KDE

> Does anyone know how to fix this.
> Everything was running fine, I changed the name of the computer,forgot to
> change the alias, rebooted and got this. Now everytime I login into KDE I
> get this error, it is even worse in gnome.

What do you mean, "forgot to change the alias?"  There are really only two
places you need to set the hostname.  The first is /etc/sysconfig/network,
and it should look something like this:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=yourhost.example.com

The second place is /etc/hosts.  If you have a static address for your
machine, it should look something like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.1.204   yourhost.example.com    yourhost

Make sure that you replace 192.168.1.204 with your real ip address, and
replace yourhost.example.com with your computer's name.

If your machine gets its ip address via DHCP (like from a company network or
a broadband router), then /etc/hosts will more likely look like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost yourhost.example.com
yourhost

Thomas