Advice on external backup of a Linux server.

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Feb 10 01:29:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 20:16, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> Interesting idea. However. What if something goes wrong in the chasis,
> for example, power surge, all teh HDD's go? no?
> The prob I have I have with the USB solution is that it requires user
> intervention.

Probably the best idea is to setup rsync with a remote system.  After
the initial push of data it should just push the changed files on the
system.  Part of this depends on how much data you are talking about.

Using a remote system does two things, gives you a backup copy, and gets
that copy off site.  It also addresses your issue of having little or no
user interaction once it is setup.

If you want something just local and are looking for the box to survive
then a raid solution is most likely called for.

The trick with any DR plan is to identify the types of problems you
expect to have happen and plan for those.  Customers that say they want
to plan for everything usually change that plan once they see the cost
of doing that.  :)
--

Response brought to you by AutoReponder 0.1
a product of Magic-8-ball productions.