Segmentation Fault when accessing partition

historian no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Thu Feb 10 09:38:31 UTC 2005

Hey all, I have a major problem. For some reason I had made one partition NTFS and I had put all my mp3 in there. I found later that I couldn't write to that partition from linux due to the limitations of the NTFS module and as a result I couldn't update the tags of the songs or move them around.
As a result I decided to use Partition Magic to convert the partition to Fat32. I backed up the mp3s and did it.
Now, while windows reads and writes just fine on the partition linux cannot do anything. As soon as Konqueror tries to access it, he crashes and on second try he hands. If it try to read it from a console (simple #ls) I can see the root, but as soon as I ls into a directory I get a segmentation fault. On the second ls try, the console hangs as well.

I tried scandisk-defrag on the partition just in case but still nothing. I have changed the /etc/fstab entry of the partition to be the same with my two other fat32 partitions but it's no use.
Also another side effect is that as soon as I access the drive in any way after mounting it, I cannot umount it afterwards. It gives me "drive busy" errors.

So, I'm pretty stuck here. I'm still pretty new to this and I don't know what else to do except erase the partition completely and restore it from backup but I'd like to troubleshoot it first if possible.

df -l
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
9063180 7143236 1459556 84% /
/dev/hdb2 101105 15269 80615 16% /boot
none 257928 0 257928 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda6 27497824 25073520 2424304 92% /everything
/dev/hda5 41268864 37768032 3500832 92% /games
/dev/hdb1 28620076 27386228 1233848 96% /Music

The problem partition is /Music (it is on the same physical HDD as the linux system) My pc is dual boot.

System Fedora 3 - Kernel 2.6.10

fstab entry
/dev/hdb1 /Music auto noauto,user,rw,umask=0000
(same for the other fat32 mounts that work normally except windows)

All help appreciated. Thanks

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org