Core 3 Kernel reconfiguration.

Malcolm Candlish bm at candlish.uklinux.net
Thu Feb 10 10:06:57 UTC 2005

Sirs,

Having read seemingly extensively on reconfiguring my core 3 kernel, I
thought I would write a simple method for this list. However, I have got
so far and hit a problem. Please can some one help.

Kernel reconfiguration for Fedora Core 3. (AMD64 not sure this is
relevant).

Work within a terminal.
su
password
vi /etc/sysconfig/kernel
 (Check that line beginning with UPGRADEDEFAULT ends in YES. If not,
delete no and change to YES).

mkdir /usr/src/redhat
mkdir /usr/src/redhat/Build
mkdir /usr/src/redhat/RPMS
mkdir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
mkdir /usr/src/redhat/SPECS

 (Obtain a src.rpm.kernel from either the source CD on via the internet
by command: up2date --get-source kernel   ).

rpm -i /home/malcolm/kernel-2.6.9-1.667.src.rpm
 (Use your own path).
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPEC
rpmbuild -bp --target=/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec

At this point all I get is 'syntax error'.
After this point I hope to copy from old boot config to new kernel
config and then use 'make xconfig' to enable missing hardware.

Any comments will be appreciated and if successful other core 3 users
may find some value here.

With thanks.
--
Malcolm Candlish <bm at candlish.uklinux.net>