A bit perplexed...

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Feb 10 14:19:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 07:53:42PM -0500, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> When someone says the "root filesystem", I automatically think of / and
> everything installed on it (/root, /usr, /etc, /var and so on, excluding
> of course /boot and swap) in one partition.
>
> I usually setup my systems like so:
>
> /boot /dev/sdXX
> /root /dev/sdXX
> /usr  /dev/sdXX
> /etc  /dev/sdXX
> /var  /dev/sdXX
> /home /dev/sdXX
> /tmp  /dev/sdXX

/root, /etc, /bin, and /sbin should be on the root filesystem, not
separated. That's why they're their own partitions. That way, if something
goes wrong mounting other filesystems, you still have the basic utilities
needed to fix it.

> In this scenario, what would the root filesystem be?  Everything else
> that doesn't have it's own partition? Does it still refer
> to /usr, /etc, /var etc., even though they reside on their own
> partitions (I'm thinking it's this last one)?

It'd still be /, which would (assuming you didn't follow the advice above),
be empty except for containing mountpoints.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--