Advice on external backup of a Linux server.

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Feb 10 14:50:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 00:11 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> But I'd like to know what technologies (for lack of a better word) do
> you utilize to do the snapshoting? If you prefer, a few suggested google
> queries would  help.

I prefer backing up to a RAID-5 array so the backup "disk" has a larger
capacity and greater resistance to hardware failures. To actually do the
snapshots, rsnapshot [1] will do you righteously and easily, and I've
also recently had backuppc [2] recommended to me (but not used it yet).

[1] http://www.rsnapshot.org

[2] http://backuppc.sourceforge.net

When replying to a list post, please DELETE any part of the previous
message which is not necessary to maintain context or understand yours.
It saves everyone bandwidth and time, and makes it more likely that
people can/will see your message and reply to it.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>