cdplayer

Douglas Frank frank at zk3.dec.com
Thu Feb 10 14:51:03 UTC 2005

mamadou wrote:

> got the same problems
> -the cd is on but where the hell is the sound ?

Gnome: there's a separate volume control app (besides the slider in the
CD player).  Grope around the start menus 'till you find it.

KDE: ditto, it's disguised under "Sound & Video"-- look for "KMix"

> --fc3 is unable to mount my drives

???not sure how you get out of singleuser???  Do you mean the CD player
can't find the cdrom?  If so, first find out what the kernel has named
your cd device.  Mine's "/dev/hdc"  Then make a link to that named
"cdrom" thusly: "cd /dev; ln hdc cdrom"  and try the player.

Player still won't work: I can't help you

Player now works: try rebooting and see if the /dev/cdrom link has
diappeared.  If it has, you're not done yet.  The permanent fix is to
edit (create) the file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules and add a line
similar to the following (substituting your own drive for 'hdc', etc.):

KERNEL="hdc", PROGRAM="/bin/cat /proc/ide/%k/media", RESULT="cdrom",
NAME="hdc", SYMLINK="cdrom"

(all one line)  this will restore the link on every reboot

> I'd also like to know why is it so difficult to play mp3 under fc3 and work at the same time ? why ?

can't help ya with mp3

> and I wonder if those who claimed "fc3 sucks are wrong

I haven't decided yet myself, but it beats the hell out of Slackware.  :-P

--
Douglas Frank
HP Co.