how can I override passwd?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Feb 10 16:26:27 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 11:21:24AM -0500, Douglas Frank wrote:
> In setting up a user acct for myself, passwd refuses my favorite
> password because it includes a dictionary word.

If you set the password as root, it won't check.

> Hell I've been using this same password here at work for years, it's the
> one I use all over the LAN and I don't feel like changing everywhere it
> to accomodate whichever graduate student Napoleon decided to make passwd
> use Linux_PAM.  If any of my colleagues care to crack it, I don't care.
>  I keep all my porn at home.

Think how much fun it'd be if a *non*-colleague script kiddy broke your
password and started serving his *own* porn collection from your accounts
all over your network.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--