Advanced configuring of metacity [no more sawfish in FC3] or other WMs

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 20:09:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:57:35 +0000, Geoffrey Leach <geoff at direcway.com> wrote:
> On 02.10 05:18, Neil Bird wrote:
> >
> >   So I finally took the plunge last W/E and upgraded FC2 to FC3, and
> > sawfish has finally been removed.
> >
> >   I've never really found metacity does what I need, but now I'm used
> > to GUI config. for straightforward options (e.g,. key/mouse bindings/
> > themes) I'm loathe to drop to another (more configurable) WM that /
> > forces/ me to fiddle with config. files (did I really just say that?)
> > like I used to a few years back in FVWM2.
> >

> >   I know of devilspie for metacity which will give me matched window
> > config., but is there any way of properly customising key/mouse
> > bindings with metacity (even via an external app. like devilspie)?
>
> I share your love of Sawfish, but I've managed to locate most of what I
> needed in the way of congiguration under Preferences in the Gnome
> menus.  I can't speak for mouse button-6, but Keyboard Shortcuts have
> their own popup there.
>
> --

I use this in the terminal  to find the correct keyboard key (if that
makes sense)
   xev | grep keycode --line-buffered
then hit the key you want to use   twice
then it will spit out something like this...
___________________________________
 [jim at JimsNotebook ~]$ xev | grep keycode --line-buffered
    state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
    state 0x40, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
See the "Super_L"  same as the dreaded "Windows Key" left side

open configuration editor
application-->system tools --->configuration editor
The go to apps-->metacity-->Global keybindings  choose a open   Run
Command  and add the Super_L to it   next click the Key binding
command  as the same  run command from the global keybinding  enter
the command you want   i use  gnome-terminal

so all i have to do now is hit the left side "Windows Key "  and the
terminal window opens

--

Jim Lawrence
Registered Linux User: #376813