can't contact newserver news.gmain.org

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 10 22:30:18 UTC 2005

Richard E Miles wrote:
> I was trying to contact the news.gmain.org newsserver but was unable. I
> typed slrn -nntp -h news.gmain.org --create. It said:
> Reading startup file /etc/slrn.rc.
> Using newsrc file /home/rmiles/.jnewsrc for server news.gmain.org.
> Connecting to host news.gmain.org ...Failed to resolve news.gmain.org
> slrn fatal error:
> Failed to initialize server.
>
> How do I use this news service?
> I also did a ping news.gmain.org and got unknown address.

There are no DNS records for gmain.org, although it shows as a
registered domain.  Doing a whois on it will reveal the registrant's
email address (appears to be a religious group).  Contact them.
-  You know the old saying--any technology sufficiently advanced is  -
-               indistinguishable from a Perl script                 -
-                                 --Programming Perl, 2nd Edition    -