(fedora) Re: nvidia kernel driver

Jacob =Jouk Jansen joukj at hrem.stm.tudelft.nl
Fri Feb 11 07:50:45 UTC 2005

Alexander wrote:
>Am Fr, den 11.02.2005 schrieb tyzenhaus um 2:29:
>
>> I am a newbie in Fedora; where is the place with a list of kernel=20
>> modules which are added into kernel at boot time? I have istalled all=20
>> possible upgrades of FC3 packages via up2date from updates-released-fc3=20
>> channel, 2.6.10-1.760_FC3 kernel included,  and gdm and X servers don't=20
>> work unless I type "modprobe nvidia" in console.
>
>http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev
>
>At the bottom of that documentation page about udev you find an
>instruction for using the NVidia.com driver module. You will need to
>copy the devices for udev (one time and after loading the nvidia module
>using modprobe). Next boot all is fine.

livnia.org made rpm's specially for fedora which can be installed flawless
(at least at my system at home) without doing anything manually. I found the
documentation on a Dutch Fedora web-page
 http://www.fedora-linux.nl/fedorafaq/index.php?layout=fedorastyle#nvidia

In principle the procedure is : replace your /etc/yum.conf by one which can
reach livnia.org. An example is on the above web-page (choose "mijn
yum.conf" and then "deze yum.conf".
The 3 steps to install are then
  1) create a terminal
  2) become root (i.e. su)
  3) yum install nvidia-glx kernel-module-nvidia-`(uname -r)`

Everytime when you update your kernel give the following command before
starting the kernel (as root ofcourse)

 yum install kernel-module-nvidia-`(rpm -q --queryformat="%{version}-%{release}\n" kernel | tail -n 1)`

               Jouk

Bush : All votes are equal but some votes are more equal than others.

  Jouk Jansen

  joukj at hrem.stm.tudelft.nl

  Technische Universiteit Delft        tttttttttt  uu     uu  ddddddd
  Kavli Institute of Nanoscience       tttttttttt  uu     uu  dd    dd
  Nationaal centrum voor HREM              tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Rotterdamseweg 137                       tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  2628 AL Delft                            tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Nederland                                tt      uu     uu  dd    dd
  tel. 31-15-2782272                       tt       uuuuuuu   ddddddd