samba for newbies

Jon Fisher infosec at cox.net
Fri Feb 11 16:34:34 UTC 2005

You might want to check out.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html

or

http://www.math.temple.edu/computing/samba.html

-jon

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Duncan Lithgow
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 9:59 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: samba for newbies

Hi all,

I've just got a message form a charity I know asking me if I could setup a
file/prinetr server for them. I haven't asked yet but I assume they're all
on
windows.

So, samba on a straight forward linux is what I guess I should do, but I'm
new
to it all. I've never played with samba ...

My question is should I agree to set this up? I can simulate the whole thing

from my two computers here at home ... but

a.) will I be able to adjust to and understand the concepts?
b.) do people fell like helping me through this the fast way? Usually I'd
spend ages reading - but I can't really ask them to wait a few weeks...
c.) would I be doing them a favour saying no and putting them onto someone
else who understands it better, but may charge for setting it up?

if you say yes to a & b then please help me find a 'quick guide to samba'
all
i found on google was a bit too sparce or too deep.

thanks, Duncan
--
Linux user #372812