samba for newbies

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 18:45:10 UTC 2005

http://ralphie.perlmonk.org/mosix/simple_samba.html

>From a setting it up in Fedora point of view:

http://fedoranews.org/tchung/samba/

Yes, its about setting up a printer to share.  I know that but look at
the default smb.conf.  If you turn on the service and have users set
up in your smbpasswd then you got /homes shared by default (with
browsing turned off).

Plus you got this actually pretty nice samba config tool with Fedora.
I like how it adds new stuff to the bottom and does not mess with your
settings to hard and all that.

Take a look at the above links and keep it simple out of the box.
Then start to get more complicated as you go.  Don't forget to leave
yourself a whole in the IPTables firewall as described in the above
link.

Oh yeah and have fun samba is pretty easy to setup but has a lot of
neato features to start messing with once you have an idea of what you
are doing.