FC3: Usage of IDE-USB-Adapters on ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with an 80GB IDE Disk

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 11 13:45:55 UTC 2005

Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running FC3, and I have an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe MB, and I attached an
> 80GB Samsung IDE Disk
> via an IDE-USB-Adapator at the front usb connector.
>
> Problem: Partitioning the DISK by cfdisk is OK (1 primary, spanning over
> the whole disk). But formatting with etx2/ext3 or xfs hangs up, after
> about one 3rd of the disk is formatted (mkfs.ext2/3/xfs).
>
> mkfs.vfat is OK.
>
> Kernel: 2.6.10 (Vanilla).
>
> Any help is appreciated.

I have a similar situation on my box built around a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
Ver 2.  My 160GB Maxtor "One-Touch" drive works great when plugged into
the rear USB jacks but is completely unusable when plugged in in front.
I just chalked it up to noise pickup by the m/b to front panel cable but
  find it interesting that a 256MB flash memory works great, plugged in
in front.