ATI PCI-E cards, fglrx and Fedora

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Fri Feb 11 20:50:32 UTC 2005

Dave,
   Well now I am thoroughly confused. I had been told that the
DRI support of PCI-E cards was done using the agpgart code in
manner similar to how pcigart support was. If this isn't the
case doesn't it imply that any DRI support for PCI-E cards will
be software based? This would match the few reports I have seen
from users with PCI-E based cards using the fglrx driver. Those
folks all seem to report slow performance compared to cards with
which use AGP. This was my worst fear. That hardware DRI doesn't
really exist for PCI-E cards and thus they will be a major step
backwards from the existing DRI/agpgart rendering with AGP based
cards. I hope I am wrong but I have yet to see any reports from
users to counter this.
                  Jack