installing Xine

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Feb 12 03:59:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 04:36 +0100, iurodivii wrote:
> okay, so i downloaded my tarball and unrolled it with the tar xfvz command... but now when i go to the directory i just created xine-lib-1.0 and try to run ./configure the terminal runs thru a buch of "checking this...checking that..." and at the end it returns the following error:
>
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in path
>
> i'm running commands per the tutorial http://xinehq.de/index.php/faq#BUILDING
>
> of course i will keep searching for answers but i thought i'd try here since i've had great results with this community.
>
> thanks and happy hacking!
> Chris
----
seems to me that if you have to ask about C compiler, you would be far
better off using one of the repositories to handle the installation and
all dependencies - it's rather simple.

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

sort of gets there... get yum configured or use install apt

and something like a 'yum --enablerepo=dag install xine'

a whole lot simpler

Now if you really want to install via tarball and deal with all that,
you will need things like gcc
(on my FC-3 system)
# rpm -qa|grep gcc
libgcc-3.4.2-6.fc3