LVM, resize /, & FC3 defaults

Felipe Alfaro Solana lkml at mac.com
Sun Feb 13 01:54:51 UTC 2005

On 12 Feb 2005, at 22:23, Jim Cornette wrote:

> Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>

>>> Another problem with having LVM installed by default is the trying
>>> to install the next release in text mode does not recognize the LVM
>>> based installation.
>>> the LVM is recognized using the GUI installer. This might be similar
>>> to what you are running into when using the rescue CD to attempt to
>>> resize the drives. A consideration might be to add a parameter to
>>> the boot command to load  lvm related processes to be able to adjust
>>> your lvm sizes to your desired specifications.
>>

>> Once booted into text-mode rescue, invoke the following commands:
>>
>> lvm lvscan
>> lvm vgchange -ay
>>
>> This will scan for all LVM volumes and then will make them active and
>> accessible.
>>
>> lvm vgchange -an
>>
>> will deactivate them all.
>

> Since I don't have a linux computer at hand now, (on someone elses XP)
> do you have to perform the
> lvm lvscan
> part only before you can chroot /mnt/sysimage when using a system
> configured with LVM?

You need to run "lvm lvscan" and "lvm vgchange -ay" *before* chrooting
into your filesystem. Also, since anaconda won't setup LVM properly,
you must manually mount the volumes into their place before begin able
to chroot into them.

> I take it that the lvm vgchange -ay refers to activating the LVM to
> allow for changing and the -an deactivates the change.

Right. "lvm vgchange -ay" activates all LVM volumes and places the
corresponding device files into /dev/mapper/ and links to them into
/dev/Your-Volume-Group-Name.