usb storage devices

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Sun Feb 13 04:16:28 UTC 2005

On Friday 11 February 2005 2:48 am, Ankush Grover wrote:
> hey,
>
> try to update the default kernel with FC3 and also hotplug utility .I
> think after that your system will detect the USB devices.
>
> Regards
>
> Ankush

Hello, Ankush :)
I updated the kernel, hotplug and a few other items that rpm complained about
(and a maybe one that seemed like a good idea to update) - initscripts, udev,
usbutils.  One reason I had never updated any of those before is because I
have all of the latest Released updates installed.  I tool a risk with
installing all the above items from Rawhide.  Guess what?  Now everything
appears to work.  ssh was broken because I updated initscripts, but a quick
"yum install openssh*" with the Rawhide repo enabled fixed that :)
Now for the fun part: I tried what I consider to be an acid test:
1. Scan a photo at about 600dpi.  Scanned perfectly.  The scanner never got
hung up.
2. Immediately I unplugged the scanner and replugged it into another USB2
port.  Scanned the same image at 600dpi.  Worked perfectly yet again :)

I repeated this process a total of four times, each time scanning the same
image, unplugging the scanner, replugging immediately into a different USB2
port.  Worked perfectly every time.

Now I need to "Bite the bullet" and put the burner back into the problem ports
again and try a similar test with that.

Thank you very much for your help.  Your advice worked perfectly :)

Steven P. Ulrick