dial-in server exit 1

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Sun Feb 13 10:57:48 UTC 2005

Greetings,

My dialin server config looks like this now, I have spent many hours trying
and yet I can't get it working.

[root at preload ppp]# cat options.server
noauth
  -chap
  +pap
  login
  asyncmap 0
  :192.168.2.8
  debug
  modem
  crtscts
  dns-addr 196.25.100.18
  dns-addr 196.25.100.19
  proxyarp
[root at preload ppp]# cat pap-secrets
ppp     *       "" ppp.teq.pinteq

[root at preload ppp]# cat /etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.
mgetty.config  mgetty.oldcfg
[root at preload ppp]# cat /etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.config
port ttyS0
  data-only y
  direct y
  debug 5
  speed 115200
  login
  port-owner ppp
  port-group pppusers
  port-mode 0664

[root at preload ppp]# cat /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config
/AutoPPP/ -     ppp     /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.server
[root at preload ppp]#cat /etc/ppp/options
lock
-detach
asyncmap 0
proxyarp
+pap
crtscts
pap-timeout 30
pap-max-authreq 20
modem
noauth
login
192.168.2.1:192.168.2.200
domain teq.pinteq

In my dns I have added records for  ppp.teq.pinteq

The first part of the dial-up with Kppp set to terminal mode for goes
smoothly,

here is the kppp console output

preload.teq.pinteq login: ppp
Password:
Last login: Sun Feb 13 10:53:07 on ttyS0

When I click continue or set kppp to PAP I get an error exit 1

Kppp spits out this error:

Feb 13 10:51:39 chadlap pppd[7494]: By default the remote system is required
to authenticate itself
Feb 13 10:51:39 chadlap pppd[7494]: (because this system has a default route
to the internet)
Feb 13 10:51:39 chadlap pppd[7494]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret
(password) for it to use to do so.

I have treid many sugestions and config found on google and some suggestions
from guys on this list and the man page and various how-to's

I am getting desperat now I needed this to be solved this weekend for Monday
morning.

Not having much experience is the problem could somone please point out my
error?

Chadley Wilson
Redhat Certified Technician
Cert Number: 603004708291270