machine set to "auto-shutdown"?

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Sun Feb 13 16:21:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 22:34 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> jay wrote:
> > I am running Fedora Core 3 on a desktop machine for a while now.  The
> > only problem that I seem to be having is that after it has been idle for
> > a while the machine shuts down by itself.  Usually the screen saver will
> > kick in and be on for a while and then the machine will just shut down.
> > Other times I am working on the machine and it just shuts down.  I am
> > not seeing an error message and the machine starts back up just fine
> > without going through any of the "the machine was shut down improperly"
> > stuff.
> >
> > Is that enough information for anyone to help?
> >
> Yes.  First check the settings on the Advanced tab for Preferences ->
> Screensaver.  There is the option in Power Management to power down your
> system as one of the settings.
No. That setting powers off the Monitor, it does not shut down the
system.

> Second, check your system's BIOS to see if there is a similar setting.
Again most likely wrong. The OP said that sometimes it also shuts down
while he's working on the machine.

jay: When the shutdown occurs, note the current time (assuming your
system clock is dead accurate) and post everything in /var/log/messages
from that time stamp until the machine is physically off.

If your machine shuts down properly, you may want to boot with kernel
options "apm=off acpi=off" to make sure there's no spurious pwr
management event causing your shutdown.

HaJo

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net>