moving /home to its own partition

Glenn Story glenn.story at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 17:51:22 UTC 2005

There's more than one way to do it, but here's the steps I would take.
 (All this is done by root).

1.  Move the existing /home to a new place.

mv /home /oldhome

2.  Create the new home mount point.

mkdir /home

3.   Mount your new partition

mount -t ext2 /dev/hda8 /home

4.  Copy data from the old location to the new location.

rsync -a /oldhome/  /home/

5.  Add the new entry to fstab:

/dev/hda8 /home ext2 defaults 0 0

(This is exactly the entry you specified. )

6.  Test the fstab entry.

umount /home
mount -a
ls /home

Your new files should be mounted.

7.  After a week or so, or whenever you're comforortable your new
configuration is working properly, you can delete the old home
directory

rm -rf /oldhome

This scheme assumes you have kicked other users (if any) off the
system so they're not using the old /home.

-- Glenn