Strange X Behavior

Ben Sheron ben at whatsmykarma.com
Sun Feb 13 19:03:09 UTC 2005

This just started happening recently on my FC1 box; I am not sure what
is causing it.  Instead of X displaying the initial splash screen during
the boot messages, it just hangs, showing a black screen with an x in
the middle.  Pressing control-alt-backspace revives it, and I am able to
log in then.  Also, when I log out, X hangs with a slightly garbled
picture of my desktop background for about 30 seconds, and then goes
back to the normal login screen.  When I do a shutdown, it goes back to
the black screen with the x in the middle until my computer shuts down.

This hasn't really prevented me from using the box, but it is very
annoying.  I thought this was an Nvidia driver issue, but it worked fine
before with these drivers.  I have attached my XF86config file, as well
as the XFree86 log.  I have thought about recompiling, but am not sure
if this would help.  I have also thought about installing X.org.

Thanks for any insight...

Ben